Saturday, January 24, 2015

Delaware Art Museum Photography Class #2: (Part 2: Shutter Speed)

The second thing we explored in our second class was shutter speed.  The range of my camera is from 30 seconds to 1/4000 of a second.  I can keep my shutter open longer with a setting called "bulb" but I haven't explored that too much yet (but that is how you would take a pictures of the stars in motion and that kind of thing).

Near by me, is a dog park.  I figured dogs in actions would help me test my faster shutter speeds. This beautiful, big, white dog was giving his head a good shake!  This picture was taken at 1/1250 of a second shutter speed and an ISO of 3200.  So, when I shot at a quicker shutter speed, the ISO needed to be higher in order to make the camera more sensitive to light so that I could get the picture clearly. But when I got much beyond 1/1250 the picture became too dark.




Mr. Beagle was hysterical.  Everyone else was playing quietly, but boy did he let us know he was there! I kept hearing him but wasn't watching him when he was baying.  Right as I was getting ready to leave, I kept my eye on him and out it came...

 I was curious about shooting fire at high speed as it is beautiful to watch but in the past, my fireplace shots have always been washed out because my flash would come on and I didn't know how to correct that.  This first shot was set at 1/80th of a second, hand held, with an ISO of 3200.


1/125 of a second, ISO of 3200...


On the opposite end of the spectrum, I tried using my tripod and taking a longer shutter speed.  The first shot was taken with a 25 second shutter speed and an ISO of 3200.


And, this one was 30 seconds with an ISO of 3200. Which, although brighter, are much grainier.


Capturing the motion of water is always fun, and I think beautiful. These were taken at 1/500 of  second shutter speed and an ISO of 1600.



And, I was excited to be able to capture glistening ice on my Japanese Maple at night time...




No comments:

Post a Comment