Saturday, January 24, 2015

Delaware Art Museum Class #2: (Part 3 - Looking for Diagonals)

In addition to teaching us about the shutter speed, the aesthetic composition pointer was to look for diagonals. Namely, look for lines that go from one corner of your picture to another and even have a secondary line coming off of the diagonal like this picture I took of my daughter while walking by a nearby creek, spinning her new found walking stick...



 This happens to be a large rock that has apparently been there for as long as my husband has lived in our neighborhood, which was since he was a child.  It used to be referred to as the poke-a-dotted rock, but as you can see, it is no longer pock-a-dotted.  But, it's natural shape creates a diagonal!


There is also something called "an implied diagonal" which can be understood in this picture of my neighbor playing in the snow, who, after falling when trying to catch the ball dropped the ball at a diagonal from his body... This picture was take at an ISO of 3200 because of the snow, and the exposure was 1/200 of a second.  I think I should have made the exposure longer as it is too dark.


 Here are two other picture that demonstrate a diagonal, but nothing exciting on the shutter speed.  The basketball hoop was an ISO of 400 and shutter speed of 1/30 of a second.


I like this picture.  I'm not really sure why.  My daughter is relaxed next to my husband watching a show.  1/8 of a second exposure and ISO of 1600.


 I think this one demonstrates the idea of a diagonal (the log), and something branching off of the diagonal (my daughter's feet and legs), pretty well.


These were taken at a farm in Chadds Ford, PA.  Curving Roads help with the diagonals and as well as farm fences, crops in the fields, sloping hills and railroad tracks.  Children playing with horses make a nice implied diagonal..
















One more diagonal...



One final thing he said was that where the eyes are looking can create a line as well!  So, pay attention to the direction of your subjects eyes.




No comments:

Post a Comment